Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student in Australia, you are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire duration of your study in Australia.

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (including spouses and children under 18 years old), must have OSHC.

What does OSHC cover? 

OSHC insurers provide a range of different OSHC plans.

The compulsory minimum (basic) OSHC plan will usually cover: 

  • visits to the doctor (GP)
  • some hospital treatments
  • ambulance, and
  • limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). 

OSHC doesn’t cover treatments such as dental, optical or physiotherapy. If you would like cover for these, you can purchase Extras OSHC from an OSHC provider. 

Another option is to buy private health insurance along with your OSHC to cover items that your OSHC does not cover. Benefits and costs vary between funds and insurance policies.

You can also choose to purchase travel insurance in addition to your OSHC as that can cover a range of health treatments as well. 

Where can I buy OSHC?

There are only a few registered health insurers that offer OSHC. You can compare plans and prices by visiting the following websites: 

Maintaining your OSHC 

The Department of Home Affairs requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for the duration of time they are in Australia. 

For further information please visit the Private Health website.